Wednesday 9 January 2013

2012 Favourites - Part 5: Skincare and Haircare

Okay, I know this is possibly the least exciting post of the 2012 Favourites series, but I wanted to do it anyway because now that I'm getting older, I'm finding it increasingly important to have a good skincare routine. Mine isn't really complicated, especially because I'm always so late going to bed, I never have the energy to do a lenghty routine. I do have a good cleanser and make up remover, and also a good serum, night cream and eye cream, with the occasional scrub and mask thrown in, so that's fine. In the mornings I just use a face cream having washed my face in the shower with clean water. I don't have time for more, it's as simple as that.

I did a video about my skincare routine back in April and although some products I'm not using anymore (have run out or have decided to change), it gives you a good idea about which products I enjoyed using in 2012. Check it out here

I'll start with cleansing. I usually use Boots Botanics Soothing Eye Make Up Remover (old style, this has now been rreformulated) followed by Simple Kind To Skin Facial Cleansing Wipes. The two together work very well for removing make up and dirt from my skin. I haven't found a cleanser I am that chuffed about, I just can't really get excited about a cleanser, but every one I've used so far does a good enough job. I'm currently using a L'Occitane cleanser with the longest, most complicated name that I refuse to copy. I also really like Lancome Bi-Facil and will probably use it instead of the Boots one because I've heard that the new, reformulated version isn't very good.


See which other products I loved in 2012 after the jump!



My favourite exfoliator has been Mac Volcanic Ash Exfoliator (VAE) for a long time now (since it was repromoted with the Style Black collection in 2010 (?). Luckily it has now become permanent, although it's currently showing as sold out on the Mac UK website.


I also regularly use Mac Volcanic Ash Thermal Mask (limited edition, discontinued) and Avon Anew Rejuvenate Mineral Facial Rinse Off Treatment (discontinued), both are great cleansing masks, sadly both have been discontinued. I was hoping Mac would bring back the Volcanic Ash Thermal Mask as well as the VAE, but sadly no. They are actually quite similar in what they do and I often reach for the Avon one simply because it's less messy. I love volcanic ash stuff, but gosh, it's so black and it ends up all over the bathroom.

I also really love Superdrug Raspberry Exfoliating Mud Mask and often use it as an alternative to the two mentioned above. It's a scrub and a mask in one and it smells just like real raspberries - yum yum! I also love using Biore Pore Strips to unclog my pores, it's so much fun inspecting them after use and counting all the blackheads that got pulled out (anyone else love doing this?).


I've been loving Lancome Genifique Youth Activator and using it almost every day for yours now, so that's not new, but I couldn't not mention it as it's brilliant. I also have and love the Genifique night cream, but I've been using the Ginvera Green Tea night cream and day cream ever since I was sent them some month ago for review. They work very well with my skin, they're not greasy, but moisturising and lightweight. I'm very happy with them, so will finish them off, but I'm not sure I'll repurchase as I have so many samples to use.


I use Lancome Genifique Eye Cream at night which I also love. I'm in my mid-30's now and so far I haven't got many wrinkles around my eyes, I don't know if it's due to the fact that I've been using eye creams for a good while now.


I also want to mention a stand out hair product I've discovered even though I don't normally review them on here as I tend to just use the same products and don't do much to my hair anyway. I've been using L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil for Coloured Hair for a good while now and I really love it, it makes my hair smooth and silky, and despite being an oil, it's not at all heavy. I have long hair, so I need a few squirts, but I've not managed to overdo it yet, whereas I did with argan oil which just felt really heavy and oily. I love this product so much, I have no doubt I will eventually repurchase it. It's not very expensive either.

Picture courtesy of The Sunday Girl (I forgot to take one)

That's it for my 2012 Favourites series. I'd better get back to 2013 as I have many new products to show you!  


1 comment:

  1. I don't have a very regular routine - quite often getting whatever is on offer at Boots! At the moment I have a Lush fresh cleanser - Angels on Bare Skin - very nice. I do use Clarins Blue Orchid re-balancing oil every night. Strange - that particular hair oil is one that I picked up just after Christmas on a weekend away when I forgot my hair products, and it made my hair dreadfully lank - even with the tiniest amount - so I'm going back to my Macadamia oil treatments!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...